Quinoa and Coconut Granola Recipe...
Generally speaking, I am not a fan of cereal. If I wanted an unhealthy breakfast that offered little to no nutritional value, I would probably scoff a bowl of chips and gravy before my daily coffee. But because that is wrong (on many levels), I have decided to take cereal making into my own, trustworthy hooves.
This recipe is not only tasty, but is cheap compared to other gourmet breakfast brands. Plus, it is full of 'super foods' and has no added sugar, preservatives, trans fat and other nasty stuff. So, say no to expensive, unhealthy, sugar-filled muesli and try this instead - your hips and bank balance will be thankful for it.
I have used almonds and coconut in this recipe, but you can substitute for any if your favourite nuts or fruit. Place the nuts in from the beginning and add the fruit at the end.
Serves: This portion will be enough for about a week or two of breakfasts, depending on how hungry you are.
What you need:
- 2 cups of oats
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup of pitted dates, chopped roughly
- 1 cup of almond flakes
- 1 table spoon cinnamon
- 2 table spoons of coconut oil
- 2 table spoons of honey
- 1/2 cup of water
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven at 140 degrees place water, oats, quinoa, almonds, cinnamon and coconut oil into a into a baking tray make sure all ingredients are moist and add more water if needed, stir thoroughly. Place into oven for 30 mins.
- Stir every 5 - 10 mins to ensure all the mixture is getting roasted evenly. Add the shredded almonds and chia seeds half way through cooking and stir.
- Remove when the ingredients turn golden brown and mixed the dates and shredded coconut through the mixture. Eat and serve with whatever you please... my preference is natural yoghurt and mango.