Healthy Meatball Recipe ....
Winter might be over but it isn’t too late to indulge in some super healthy comfort food. These balls are delicious, incredibly easy to make and free of any nasty ingredients. This recipe outlines how to make meat balls accompanied with plenty of vegetables and a healthy white bean mash, but they would go perfectly with pasta or accompanied with some crusty bread. Serves 2-3 people. What you need: • 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard • 500 g pork and veal mince • 1 heaped tablespoon dried oregano • 1 large free-range egg • sea salt • freshly ground black pepper • olive oil • 1 medium onion • 3 cloves of garlic • ½ fresh or dried red chilli • 1x200 g tinned chopped tomatoes • 2x200g cans of white beans • 1 x bunch of kale or Tuscan spinach • Parmesan cheese, for grating • 4 sprigs fresh rosemary • 1 large carrot • 1 lemon
What you need to do:
- Add mince, salt, chilli, 2 cloves of garlic, onion, carrot and rosemary chopped finely, mustard and oregano into a bowl and mix the egg through with your hands
- Divide the mixture into medium sized balls and place on a pan on medium heat to brown the edges.
- Once browned, place into a large pot with the can of tomatoes and a splash of water and bring to the boil and add water throughout the cooking if needed and leave from anywhere between 1-4 hours, stir occasionally. The longer you leave them, the richer the flavour becomes.
- Towards the end of the cooking, boil beans then place them in a food processor with a small splash of olive oil, 1 clove of garlic and salt until it turns into a smooth mash.
- While the beans are boiling chop the Tuscan cabbage or kale roughly and sauté until it softens and turns into a rich green colour.
- Serve the meat balls on a bed of white bean mash and a side of green and sprinkle freshly grated parmesan on top.